How to remove password from word document: Word offers its users the best way to secure their private information present in the document. Word helps you to protect your document by including a password to open the document.
Certainly, attaching a password to protect your Word file can help you protect it from other people who may try to misuse the information stored in the file or edit it. You may have lost the password or do not remember the password or sometimes the person who sent you the word document sent you the password protected document.
Well, there is a solution to this problem as well. This article will brief in three differs methods to remove the password from your word document.
Here are the steps that you can follow
Remove password from word document
- Open the word file and provide the appropriate password.
- To the left corner you will find File wherein you need to follow the path Info—Protect Document–Encrypt with Password
- Keep the box for Password blank and then hit – Ok. The system will not prompt you for password the next time when you try to open the document
Related post: How to remove password from excel file
Unlock the ready-only Word document
If you come across document which is restricted for editing, then it means it is a ready only document. In case you do can’t recollect the password for your Word document 2016, you can try the simple steps given below to make it free of read only limitation
- Double click the word file and then head to File–Save as so that you can save the file to a different location.
- Now you can edit the word file easily. In case it doesn’t work then proceed to the next steps.
- Now modify extension from .doc/.docx to the extension -.zip and to confirm click – Yes
- Open -Zip file in Windows Explorer.
- Click on – Word folder and search for settings.xml. Remove it from the given list. After this again modify the extension to .doc
Rename Extension for the Word document
You can also get rid of the password from the word file by renaming the word file extension in cases where you are not able to recollect the password for the file.
- On your PC open the word doc and click – File–Save As to save your word file to a different destination on your PC.
- After you save the file at a different place, you will be able to edit the file easily. Suppose you are still facing the issue with editing then there are chances that the file is password protected and also have different restrictions. To sort this out you can proceed to simple steps given below
- Try to rename the extension for example if it is .doc or .docx then modify it to .zip and then just say – Yes to proceed.
- Now open the “ZIP” file with Windows Explorer.
- Now click your word folder and look for file labelled as “settings.xml” and eliminate it. Then alter the extension again to .doc and now you can easily edit the word document.
Removing word document password for Word 2007
- Press the office icon located at top left corner of your Word document. Tap this option- Click –Encrypt Word Document
- Remove the password from the dialog box and then click on OK.
Removing word document password for Word 2003
- Click – File—Save As
- Tap – Tools on – save dialog box, tap – Security Options
- Delete the password that can be seen in security box present in “Password to open” &“Password to modify”
- Now, press – Ok so the changes are saved
Remove password from word document using actual password
In case you know the actual password, then deleting the password for your word file becomes much simpler
Remove password from word document using actual password for
- Open the word doc that is protected with password to view it
- Click –File—Protect Document–Encrypt with Password
As the word file is protected with password you can see the password in – ‘Password’ box.
In order to unlock the file, just erase the password given in the box and press – OKFollow Us On: