Remove password from excel: People use password to protect excel document and it is certainly an easy method to secure excel files with their important data may it be for individuals or companies.
In case you forget or lose your password for that specific excel file then it can be a problem. You may end up losing your crucial data. Of course you will not be able to retrieve the data that is present in your Excel file.
One more thing that will bother you to use a password protected doc is to provide the password each time you try to open the excel file.
In order to remove password from excel file you should know the right method to do it.
Just go through this article to help yourself understand how to remove the password from Excel document.
Methods to Remove Password from Excel
1. Remove password from Excel when password in known
I. Remove password from excel file (older Version)
It can be really a frustrating affair to enter the password to open your Excel document which is password protected. When you are asked to enter the password every time you open the file, you feel irritated.
It can be even more frustrating when you have a number of excel files having password protection. In this case you may end up getting confused between different passwords for those files.
In order to make the process easy either you need to save those files in a separate file and update when you change the password or just remove the password protection forever.
Also, when you need to send the excel file which is protected with a password to someone else. To send the file also you need to remove the password for that specific file.
Now the easiest method you can adopt is to remove the password and for this you can learn the steps given below
The steps given below will help you eliminate the password from the excel document when you already know the password. The process is quite simple and you will be able to remove password from excel file easily
- You need to open excel file which is having the password protection.
- You will see a dialogue box which will prompt you to type in the password. Just provide the password and hit – Ok
- Click – File > Save As and then choose the destination where you would like to save your Excel file post elimination of the password. In case you are using Microsoft excel’s older version, click – Microsoft Excel and then opt for – Save As
- Before you save this excel file click – Tools
- From the drop down menu, click – General Options
- Here a dialogue box can be seen. Here you need to remove the current existing password from the section- Password to expand text box and now click – OK
- Finally you need to save the file and that’s it. Your job is done you can now open the excel file without the need to type in the password.
Related Post: How to remove password from PDF
II. Remove password from excel 2010 file
This method helps you removes password for Excel 2010 or its later versions when you already know the password. It is very easy and flexible method.
- Open – Excel file for which you want to eliminate the password. Once you open that particular excel file you will have to enter the password.
- Click – File and Click- Info
- Next, Click – Protect Workbook and from the given drop down menu, Click – “Encrypt with Password” (for all older versions of excel you will have to Click –Protect Document—Encrypt with Password.
- You will now see the dialogue box wherein just Delete the Password and then Click – OK
- Save your excel file and you will find your excel file password free as the password protection is eliminated.
2. Remove password from Excel when password is unknown
Follow the steps below to remove password from excel file when password in not know for you
- Open MS Excel
- Hover the mouse on Developers tab
- Now click on View code or Press “Alt+F11“
- Double click on password protected worksheet
- Here you will get a sheet code window, just copy the code below and paste there
Dim i As Integer, j As Integer, k As Integer
Dim l As Integer, m As Integer, n As Integer
Dim i1 As Integer, i2 As Integer, i3 As Integer
Dim i4 As Integer, i5 As Integer, i6 As Integer
On Error Resume Next
For i = 65 To 66: For j = 65 To 66: For k = 65 To 66
For l = 65 To 66: For m = 65 To 66: For i1 = 65 To 66
For i2 = 65 To 66: For i3 = 65 To 66: For i4 = 65 To 66
For i5 = 65 To 66: For i6 = 65 To 66: For n = 32 To 126
ActiveSheet.Unprotect Chr(i) & Chr(j) & Chr(k) & _
Chr(l) & Chr(m) & Chr(i1) & Chr(i2) & Chr(i3) & _
Chr(i4) & Chr(i5) & Chr(i6) & Chr(n)
If ActiveSheet.ProtectContents = False Then
MsgBox “One usable password is ” & Chr(i) & Chr(j) & _
Chr(k) & Chr(l) & Chr(m) & Chr(i1) & Chr(i2) & _
Chr(i3) & Chr(i4) & Chr(i5) & Chr(i6) & Chr(n)
Next: Next: Next: Next: Next: Next
Next: Next: Next: Next: Next: Next
- Click Run
- Now you will get a popup message “One usable password is XXXXXXXXXXXX” and this is the high chances that your excel file password is removed.
3. Remove password from Excel file using 3rd party software
In case you do not forgot the password for your excel document, then you can also use any third party software to remove the password protection from the file. The third party software certainly helps you do the job easily without worrying about the forgotten password.Follow Us On: