Hyper V Windows 10: Hardware virtualization assistance was first introduced by Windows 8 OS. With the help of similar technology present in Windows Server 12 R2, the integrated Hyper V feature helped many software professionals to shift VMs (Virtual Machine) from their server to the client without the knowledge of using Hyper V windows 10 tools and features. Later the enhancements were incorporated in Windows 8.1 like Enhanced Session Mode
Requirements for Hyper V windows 10
- 4GB memory- Minimum
- Windows 10 Pro/Enterprise/Education
- 64-bit Processor with SLAT
- CPU support for – VT-c on Intel CPUs
How to Enable Hyper V in Windows 10
Let us learn the steps that enable the feature Hyper V and utilize it on your Windows 10.
1. Using Control panel
- Go to Control Panel
- Click- Programs and Features
- Click- Turn Windows features on or off
- Check the option- Hyper V
- Check if the components are checked and hit – OK
You can reboot your PC after the feature Hyper V is added
Open Hyper V Manager
- Click the button- Start
- All Apps where you will find Hyper V Manage tools underneath H section.
- Expand the same to view Hyper V Manager
2. Using Powershell
- Open Powershell console as an administrator
- Run the commanded mentioned below
Enable-WindowsOptionalFeature -Online -FeatureName Microsoft-Hyper-V –All
- After the installation is completed you can reboot your system.
3. Enable Hyper V Using CMD & DISM
DISM lets you configure the Windows and its images. DISM can help you enable different Windows features when the operating system is in use.
Use DISM to enable Hyper V feature
- Open Powershell/CMD as administrator
- Type the command as shown below
DISM /Online /Enable-Feature /All /FeatureName:Microsoft-Hyper-V
First Thing to be Done After You Enable Hyper V
The very first thing you should do after enabling Hyper V windows 10 feature is to build network switch
- Open – Hyper V Manger and right click on it.
- Select – Virtual Switch Manger
You can select out of any 3 different switch and hit – Click the button Create Virtual Switch
In case the virtual machine needs direct access to any physical network
If you don’t need to access any physical network directly
Only if the virtual machine operates on this specific host
You can also configure the settings for Hyper V feature on this specific host to allocate default folder in order to store virtual machines and disks configuration files.
Hyper-V helps you control virtual machines and enables virtualization of hardware. It directly implies that every machine operates with the help of virtual hardware. Hyper V helps you build virtual switches, virtual hard drives and a range of virtual devices which can be added to your virtual machines.
Hyper V feature is available on Windows Pro/Enterprise and education 64 bit versions and is not available for Home edition.
Most of the computers have Hyper-V feature but every system has a different OS. With a minimum of 4GB RAM you can easily run more than one virtual machines on a single computer. For all IT professionals out their Hyper V is certainly useful.Follow Us On: