The common problem that almost every Windows 10 user faces is 100% disk usage. Many people have this complaint that the disk usage reaches 100% and the PC slows down. Let us learn how to fix this issue.
Resolve the Windows 10 problem – 100% disk usage
You can search for the services/applications that are eating lot of your disk space. You can search using task manage present in Windows 10. Underneath the tab- Processes click the column – Disk Usage to organize the numbers that you can see in descending order.
This will help you know which application is consuming lot of disk space.
Resolve the error 100% disk usage that occurs because of Google Chrome
For Google Chrome the pre-load feature of web page is the culprit. Just turn it OFF by following
- Open Settings
- Click on Show Advanced Settings
- Click on Privacy
- Now uncheck the option that says – “Prefetch resources to load pages more quickly”
Resolve the error 100% disk usage that occurs because of Skype
For Skype the increased disk usage reduces when the permission is given for the group – ALL APPLICATION PACKAGE. You can follow the steps given below to resolve 100% disk usage problem that arises due to Skype.
- Close the Skype app. To do this, right click on Skype icon present on the taskbar and then hit – Quit
- Open- My Computer/This PC and head to C:\Program Files (x86)\Skype\Phone\
- Right click on the file – exe and head to – Properties
- Underneath the tab – Security and select – ALL APPLICATION PACKAGES and then click – Edit
- In the next box that is visible select ALL APPLICATION PACKAGES. Now, tick the checkbox – Allow for Write permissions.
- Click – Ok to proceed
- Hit – Ok again.
Once done you will see that Skype will show reduced disk usage upon opening the task manager.
Resolve the error 100% disk usage that occurs because of Windows features
- Open – Command Prompt as administrator and utilize the command below net.exe stop “Windows Search”
- Utilize the following command to start your Windows again
- net.exe start “Windows Search”
- Turning OFF Windows search- How to do it?
- Press- Ctrl + R to expand – Run utility
- Type – services.msc and hit – Enter
- Right click on Windows Search service and head to Properties.
- Underneath – General tab and now set – Start type to – Disabled
- Click –Ok to proceed
Carry out a disk check
This is the best to identify 100% disk usage and here how you can carry out disk check
- Click – Windows key + X simultaneously and head to – Command Prompt option so that you can run – CMD to access administrative privileges.
- Click – Yes seen on prompt window
- In command prompt enter – exe /f /r and press- enter
- Next type- Y and confirm the disk check for next restart
- During your next restart disk check utility will automatically run and you can now check in Task Manager about disk usage to check if the issues has been fixed.