How to fix Error 0x80042109: Your outlook is not connecting to the outgoing (SMTP) e-mail server. In case this is the error message you are getting then get in touch with your ISP(internet service provider) for error 0x80042109
We have found a couple of solutions for you to combat this issue.
4 Ways to Fix Error 0x80042109
1. Check connectivity to Fix error 0x80042109
It is recommended that you check whether or not your PC is connected properly to a reliable network.
For some reasons, the email client is unable to connect servers and thereby not letting you to send or receive emails.
If the connection you are using is below average and you are sure that it is responsible for the error then these are steps that can help you check the connectivity.
- Restart router & modem.
- Choose a wired connected rather than a wireless.
- Restart PC.
- Temporarily disable – Proxy and VPN
- Run – Windows troubleshooter
After you got back your reliable connection, the error should be fixed.
2. How to fix error 0x80042109 by Altering outgoing port
The default value of the standard outgoing SMTP (Simple Mail Transfer Protocol) port is 25.
If a number of ISPs are trying to block this value of the port you may not be able to send emails. To deal with this situation you have 2 options-
- Modify SMTP value to 26.
- Head to TLS port and select – 587
The 2nd option stated above is not a standard port value, but still a helpful solution to overcome the error. Just carry out the steps as given
- Open- Outlook.
- Select- Tools.
- Open – Account Settings.
- Double-click on problematic email address.
- Select – More Settings.
- Open – Advanced.
- Set the value for Outgoing server SMTP port to 587 and choose – TLS
- Confirm your selection and search for changes.
3. Reconfigure your Firewall
After you have configured your incoming/outgoing email ports, still the issue may not vanish.
In such cases the firewall may be the culprit for the error. In rare cases Windows Firewall blocks trusted features of Windows, but it can happen at times.
To be sure if the Firewall is stopping Outlook to use the internet, these instructions will help-
- In Windows Search bar, type – Firewall and then open –Windows Firewall
- From left pane, click – ”Allow an app or feature through Windows Firewall”
- Click the button -”Change settings”
- Now, search for the following 2 processes and then enable them for both the private & public networks
Outlook.exe (for Outlook)
Msimn.exe (for Outlook Express)
- After you are done with the above step, confirm the changes made and restart PC.
4. Delete the account add again
Lastly, you can check if removing your account from the Outlook works for you.
You can reset the application completely by moving to
- Go to Settings
- Select Apps
- Now click –Outlook and then access
- Select Advanced Options.
- Now click- Reset.
Once done, add your account once again, configure your account and wait for a while till it syncs completely.Follow Us On: