Write protection seems to be tedious task and it can be frustrating at times to handle the issues that accompany removing write protection from your pen drive. You may find it difficult to transfer files to your pen drive. In most pen drives that are available in the market you the write protection is provided is available through small notch. Firstly you need to check for the write protection in sides of your pen drive. You may find it marked as unlock/lock symbols. You can simply move the notch to turn the unlock position on prior to performing any file operations in your pen drive like format/paste/copy etc. Upon completing all file operations you can shift back the notch to lock option easily.
On the other hand many pen drives do not come with hardware that enables notch or lock for easy write protection. Instead they substitute it by using software or a tool. You can just read the manual that comes with your pen drive to get acquainted with all the necessary details or ways to unlock the write protection or you can also rely on some software/tools to remove write protection.
This article will help you learn simple ways to remove write protection from your pen drive.
First Method to remove write protection from your pen drive
- Open the Registry editor located on your PC
- In order to locate the registry editor simply type the command “regedit” on run.
- Navigate to “HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE” so that you can expand the “System”
- Search for “Current control set” which you will find in “System” and then click “Control” to check out the list.
- In the list look for a key labelled as “Storage Device Policies” to change the number in the box “ DWORD value” to “0” and hit ”OK” to save the changes.
After you complete all these steps just close the Regedit and restart your PC. Now connect your pen drive once again and now you will find it is not write protected any more. You can format your pen drive simply by hitting My Computer (through right click drop down menu) and select Format option.
Second Method to remove write protection from your pen drive
- If you do not succeed in performing the above mentioned method, you can using EaseUS partition software to accomplish your task. It is definitely the simplest way to remove the write protection from your pen drive.
- Install EaseUS partition tool and choose the right click on the partition you wish to format and then select “format partition” by hitting the right click button on your mouse.
- Now configure the label you like through Partition Label box.
- Next, choose the type of file system to be created right from the drop down list that appears in “File System”. In case the partition is above 4GB, you can select NTFS, EXT2/EXT3, FAT32 and in case the partition is less than 4GB you can select NTFS, EXT2/EXT3, FAT32, FAT.
- Select the Cluster Size that appears in the drop down list and hit “OK” to proceed with format operation.
- Press “Apply” in order to confirm the format operation for the write protected pen drive.
Third Method to remove write protection from your pen drive
Simply connect your pen drive to your PC. Launch the command prompt. You can accomplish this by looking for cmd.exe or just go to start menu and type command prompt.
Note: You might have to run cmd.exe may be with administrator privileges in case you find the message “access denied”. In order to accomplish this simply right click the command prompt that you find in Start menu and select “Run as administrator” from the menu. If you are using Windows 10, just right click the start button and select command prompt (admin).
- Next type the following at the prompt. You will need to press enter after every command
select disk x
attributes disk clear readonly
create partition primary
This completes the entire task.
You might also want to read – How to find wifi password on windows 10