How to change name in Windows 10: Many users feel like changing their user name in Windows 10 and the reasons to change the username can vary.
Irrespective of the reason this article will help you understand the different ways that can help you change username in Windows 10 PC.
How to Change User Name in Windows 10
1. Change name in windows 10 with Local Users & Groups
You can easily alter your username by using users & groups saved on your computer locally. You can do it by using Local Users & Groups function easily.
Note: This method will not work for Windows 10 Home users to change their account name.
If your PC has Local Users & Groups function, it becomes easy to change the username using the steps given below
- Press –Windows Key+R using your keyboard.
- Next, you need to type – lusrmgr.msc
- Click –OK
- After Local Users & Groups window appears, chose – User and now double click on Account for which you want to change the name
- Type the new desired name in –Full Name box
- Click – Apply and then- OK
2. Change username in windows 10 Using Control Panel
If you are hunting for ways to modify current username in Windows 10, just go through the steps to reach and use control panel
- Expand – Run dialog box (to get it you need to press –Windows Key+R from the keyboard).
- In the box type – Control panel.
- Click – OK
- Underneath the category – Accounts, you will find the link that says – Change Account Type. Click it
- Search user account for which you need to change the username and double click that account.
- Choose – Change the Account Name
- Type the name you want in the box – New Account Name
- Click the button – Change Name
3. How to change name in windows 10 Using Settings App
- Using your keyboard press – Windows Key+X to access the quick-access menu.
- From the given options choose – Select
- It will open – Settings app, click – Accounts
- Choose – Manage my Microsoft Account.
- Below the Microsoft account you are using, click drop-down menu to get – More Options.
- Choose – Edit Profile from given preferences.
- Click – Edit Name
- Type new name plus the verification characters
- Click – Save
Note: the steps given above will also alter the Microsoft account name
Will the user folder name change after changing the username?
After changing your username which is quite simple, you will still not able to see the changed in User folder present in C: drive. Certainly, changing its name can complicate things.
So, the better option is to go with the same name or create a fresh user account and then copy all your files to you newly created account.
Of course, this process can be time consuming but it is the safest option to go with rather than getting into trouble of user profile being corrupt
In case there is a need to rename it, then there is another option available to do it. The method involves use of command line to enter the security identifier (SID) and then doing relevant modifications in the Registry.
You will have to use the Windows Management Instrumentation Command line to use the information stored in SID to know the value required and then modify it in Registry.
- Open- Command prompt as an administrator
- Type – wmic useraccount list full and hit Enter
- Scroll down and note down the SID values for specific account for which you want to change the name
- Type- cls which will clear the screen
Now you move on to the further steps that comprise of renaming the account and it is easy to do it via command line
- Type – CD c:\users
- Hit – Enter
- Type –rename OldAccountName NewAccountName
- Open – Start and then type –regedit
- Right click – Regedit
- Click – Run as administrator
After you get it , select it and then just double click value – ProfileImagePath.
Here you can see the previous name still present. Modify it to the new name you prefer.Follow Us On: