How to fix Error 0x80073712: Although Windows Update is an amazing features it there are chances that an error may occur for example -Windows Update Error 0x80073712 which is a common error faced by many Windows users. This error means there is file which is missing/corrupt and it is much needed for Windows Update is either missing or corrupt. Here are some solutions to fix the error -0x80073712
1. PC should be scanned for Malware
The first thing that you need to do is to check for malware issues, which can be the cause for this error. You can use any 3rd party software or just utilize Windows Defender tool which is a built in feature in Windows to perform scan the complete system. Here are steps how you can do it.
- Got to Settings
- Click on Update & Security
- Select Windows Defender
- Expand Windows Defender
- Select the Full option
2. Run – Windows Update Troubleshooter
- Secondly, you can utilize Windows Update Troubleshooter which is a built in feature provided by Microsoft. It lets you search and fix the error related to update automatically in you OS. Lets learn how to use this tool.
- Press – Windows+X key together
- Now click on Control Panel
- Choose Category
- Choose Large or Small icons
- Choose Troubleshooting
- On left pane just click – View all
- Select for Windows Update
- Windows Update Troubleshooter will expand—-follow the screen instructions to fix the issue.
- Now restart the computer to apply the changes and check if Windows Update can be accessed now.
3. Run – DISM & Tools for System Files repair
In case the above solutions do not solve the issue then there are chances of Windows files being missing/damaged. So, now run – Deployment Image Servicing and Management (DISM) and then System File Checker (SFC). Here is how it can be done
- Press – Windows+S key to expand Search and then type in –CMD
- From the list choose – Command Prompt
- Right-click it and run it as run it as administrator to expand uplifted command prompt.
- You may be prompted for confirmation or may be asked your administrator log in details — Type in the details to continue.
- Type the following – ‘DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-image /Restorehealth’ (excluding quotes) in command prompt and press- Enter — the scanning process may take some time so just be patient—Do not stop the process.
- Now utilize – System File Checker tool: input – ‘sfc /scannow’ command (excluding quotes) and press enter – wait till you get the message to proceed.
- Now it will show you a report of the scanning process- just follow the screen instructions.
4. Restart – Windows Update services
- Press – Windows logo+R key at the same time to expand run and input services.msc -> Hit enter.
- Look for Windows Update service -> Check the status.
- In case status not shown just right-click on service and choose start to force start Windows Update.
- In case you notice an error, search the – Startup Type option and put it to Automatic.
- Next is to restart your PC and check if Windows Update is working fine.
Try one of them process and you will be able to fix error 0x80073712Follow Us On: